Friday, March 19, 2010

Laughter at just the right time

It's been a difficult week in the Manning home. Steven is working a horrible shift with crazy hours and hasn't seen the babies in days. The babies have been sick for 8 days. It began with Berkley running a fever for three days and then developing a nasty cough. Then Meredith got the cough and started running fever, which lasted 5 days. They both ended up at the doctor, on different days, and both have their first ear infection. To be honest, I've been emotionally drained. The babies have been extremely clingy and more whiny than ever. They both want my attention all the time. Meredith has learned to pull up to a standing position and will crawl over to me crying and pull herself up using my leg and shirt. All the while Berkley is crawling over to me and trying to pull up, but he can't yet, instead he just lies at my knees and cries. When I manage to get them both in my lap and try to read, they start pulling at each other or accidentally hit the other one and then our moment of peace is over. But, in the midst of all of this chaos, I am thankful. Thankful for two wonderful babies who have been healthy until now. Thankful that even though they've got runny noses and are getting it all over me, they somehow manage to sleep through the night. Thankful for grandmothers who can come to my rescue. Thankful for a church family who encourages me regularly and spurs me on in my faith. Thankful for amoxicillan:) And thankful for laughter at unforeseen moments. Let me explain the final one. Berkley wasn't calming down when I put him to bed tonight so I went upstairs to give him some Tylenol in case his ear was hurting. I was rocking him and singing a lullaby when he looked up at me and touched my mouth. He kept touching my mouth while I was singing and then started laughing. I wish I could do the laugh justice in describing it to you, but it was adorable. So here we are in the his room with just the night light shining, I'm singing and he's laughing. His laughter got more and more hysterical until he made me laugh, which eventually led to me crying because all I could think about was how amazing is it that I'm sitting here with my son who has this precious laugh and how this is a memory I wish I could hold onto forever. So, of course, I immediately (well, not really immediately because I did have to get Berkley off to sleep first) came downstairs to blog it so I will hopefully be able remember it forever.

I'm thankful for laughter for my sweet son.
This video is old, but it will give you a taste of Berkley's sweet laugh

2 comments:

Joey G said...

What a wonderful story, and what a sweet laugh. I'm so glad you're sharing these memories. Imagine all of the things we forget over the years...those little moments that would mean the world to us, if only we could remember them. This blog is a blessing to me now, and it will be a blessing to you in the years to come. Praise God for letting those two little lights (aka Meredith and Berkley) shine, making our lives that much brighter! I love you!

Kay said...

God is so faithful to send encouragement to us when we need it by whatever means are available. Praise God that he used Berkley to help you through a difficult night!